Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The One Where Marissa Got Sick...Again

Don't worry people, she's really fine! But I must pick up where we left off last.  (I've been getting my butt kicked by my stomach all afternoon but I still think that this one should be named "The One Where Homegirl Got Her Weave Tore Out"... personal opinion only-M)

So Tuesday was the day that the girls were all in crunch mode to get the last of their products made before they shipped 'em off today. So everyone was running around--which is unusual here as everyone usually is pretty relaxed about everything--finishing things and wrapping them in the celophane wrappers before they went into boxes. As you can imagine, tension was in the air and the girls were a little on the testy side. While Marissa and I were turning all the little purses right side out, we heard raised voices just outside the doorway. Sophee and Hati were evidently upset with each other for a reason unbenounced to us. Its hard to understand what's going on when you don't understand the language. The heated arguement turned into an actual fight; Sophee pushed Hati to the ground and the other girls jumped in to hold them both back while they screamed at each other presumably not nice things. Needless to say, you could cut the tension with a knife the rest of the day. (So we didn't tell this story when it actually happened but there was one afternoon where I was sitting reading my book innocently enough and all of a sudden when I leaned back one of the legs of the plastic chair broke off- it's probably all those HBCB's- it became just another one of our inside jokes. When Andi says that Sophee pushed Hati to the ground she really meant that Hati was sitting on a chair and Sophee pushed her causing the same leg of a different chair to break. I immediately said "I did NOT break that one" which I hope eased the tension for Andi a bit-M)

Marissa and I found out we'd be traveling to Kaolack again to help Veronique deliver the products to Viola's house for "inspection." We'd also have the chance to make another trip to the bank to finish up our financials for the organization. Veronique would be staying in Kaolack for the night to see her products off in Dakar the next day and we'd be traveling back by ourselves. Normally, I would be nervous about traveling in a foreign country in a packed out station wagon where no one speaks English, but I was strangely excited about the prospect of getting out of the house for a day. We finished the day by packing the girls' hard work and having our quiet time/bible study/podcast time/chat with each other time. That part of the day is quickly becoming my favorite part of the day. The Lord truly is moving in this place. He's doing serious work on my heart and I hope it continues each and every day we're here and beyond. (I can't emphasize this enough. Learning about perseverence through trials was one of the main reasons that I was able to make it through the day. The weaker I am and the more I lean on Him the more I realize how STRONG He is. -M)

As we were getting ready for bed last night, Veronique had Sophee and Hati sit down and try to sort through the events of the morning and make amends. She's kind of like the Team Mom--always keeping every one in check. As you can imagine, things got out of hand again and while Marissa and I were getting our bedding and nets from the computer room, we heard scuffling against the door and more shouting and then more screaming. Men's voices followed. As we ventured out of the room ever so cautiously, we found two of the girls' good guy friends talking to each of the girls, trying again to sort out the tift. I don't think we could have made things MORE awkward. (IE at some point during the battle two things happened 1) Sophee got a whole bunch of her weave torn out 2) a chair got pushed in front of the door. So when the scuffling dropped to a point where we thought it would be safe to get our mats we couldn't get the door open. I, being the mistress of tact and grace you all know and love decided to stick my leg around the door to manuver it out of the way... one of the guys ended up moving it because I was embarrassingly unsuccessful-M) We successfully got our mats out and finally Sophee went back to their apartment for the evening. They both seemed so upset still. To break the oober awkwardness we caused, their guy friends helped us get our nets hung up and told Vero they wanted our sheets because they were so pretty. Haha, they seemed so fun and like such good friends. I'm glad the girls have a good set of guys they can call on for help. Glad I do too :)

4:30 came early this morning and off we went to Kaolack stuffed in the back of a station wagon again. I slept most of the way thankfully and we arrived at Viola's house just in time for breakfast! She gave us each two loaves of "country bread" and butter, jam, peanut butter AND Laughing Cow cheese! Fatties, I know. I must have died and gone to heaven especially with the Twinnings tea. I didn't think we'd be stopping for lunch on the way back, so we both ate up. Marissa commented on the fact that her butter tasted funny but ate it anyway. And like clockwork, five minutes later, her face was beginning to get white and she said she felt like throwing up. Well awesome. Poor thing got sick right before we set off for the bank. What a trooper though! We wound through the maze of market alleys and bumpy streets after the taxi dropped us off. Getting through the bank is always fun here in Senegal since speaking in conversions and broken French really doesn't get us very far quickly. Somehow we managed to get what we came for and after tagging along to Veronique's other errands in the city, we got back to Viola's two hours later. Viola was sweet and got Marissa some feel better regiments and soup and applesauce to take back with us.

Still pale as can be, Marissa trooped all the way through another hour of waiting for the car back to Koungheul to fill up and another two and a half hours of driving through the desert and stopping at every village to drop someone off or pick someone up. I don't think she'd ever been more glad to stop moving. (Amen.-M)

The tension seems to have eased around here since we were gone, partially acredited to Viola's stern sounding phone call she placed to both Hati and Sophee this morning. Marissa is napping away and I'm enjoying being still to update you all on our goings on. She'll put her little comments in when she wakes up. Week 3 of our African Summer Adventure starts tomorrow. Weird weird weird that we've already been here that long!

(I would like to put in a sub-blog here titled: The One Andi Didn't Know About
So first and foremost I keep telling Andi how much I love and appreciate her but I don't think it's possible to understand how much so I'm going to take this opportunity to inform you all what an absolute saint Andi has been this entire trip. In every moment that I have been stressed about one thing or another she has always been there with a reassuring smile to let me know that God is going to take care of me. A fact I know but often need to be reminded of. She has taken care of me like a second mom BOTH times I've managed to be sick in the 14 days we've been here. All day she's been checking up on me, getting me cold water, bringing me a wet wash cloth to put on my increasingly warm forehead, and making sure I'm comfortable even though today was trying for both of us. I have gotten to know her ins and outs since we've been here and she has been through some tough situations where she could have easily given up and felt sorry for herself but instead she saw the good in every situation and it has turned her into one of the most mature-spiritually and emotionally- wonderful, kind, compassionate, and loving people I have ever met. I am constantly thanking the Lord because she has been the way that He has both spoken to and provided for me since I've been here. Love you, friend-M)

Enjoy your day, your week, your weekend! Thanks to everyone who has been sending little encouragements our way. It truly does mean the world.

Love you all SO much and miss each of you dearly.

All our love,
m&a

(And don't worry mom and popsicle, I'm being taken good care of, promise-M)

No comments:

Post a Comment